Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Sophia's Hummus

I recently visited my dear friend Sophia in Tampa. Sophia and I met during my freshman year of college (almost 5 years ago now!) I could go on about how wonderful she is all day (mashaAllah), but the main thing you need to know about her is that she is one of the kindest people I know. She lives her life trying to be the best woman, mother, and Muslimah she can be. She is a role model for me.

On previous visits, Sophia had made me hummus and I loved it. So this time, I asked her to teach me how she does it.

The recipe is very simple, but very delicious. It is for plain hummus, but anything can be added to jazz it up.

Begin with can of chick peas, tahini, garlic, and a lemon. 

Pour the water at the top of the can of chickpeas into a cup. Save this in case you need to thin out the hummus later. 

Pour the chickpeas and the water that remains around them into a food processor. Then add in approximately 1/2 a cup of tahini (Sophia cooks much like I do, not really measuring things but eyeballing it. We used the amount of tahini shown in the picture, which I think is approximately 1/2 a cup)
Process the chick peas and tahini together until they form a paste. 

Then add 1 peeled clove of garlic and the juice of half a lemon into the mixture. Make sure there are no seeds in the mixture! They will make your hummus bitter. 

Process this together until the lemon juice and the garlic have been incorporated. Lemon juice and tahini thicken each other when they interact, so your hummus should thicken a bit. 

Once the mixture is smooth add salt to taste. 

Pour the hummus onto a plate and sprinkle with paprika and cumin. Then drizzle with olive oil. 

Enjoy! 


Sophia's Hummus (Written Recipe) 
Ingredients: 
1 can of chick peas
1/2 cup of tahini
Juice of 1/2 a lemon 
1 clove of garlic
Salt to taste
Paprika, cumin, and olive oil to garnish

Directions:

1. Put all the above ingredients in a food process. Process until it forms a smooth paste. 

2. Sprinkle with paprika and cumin then drizzle with olive oil. 

No comments:

Post a Comment