Thursday, February 17, 2011

Happy Birthday to Me!!

22 years ago today, I was born on a cold February day. 

I cannot believe how fast time passes....subhanAllah. 

This past year has been a wonderful year, alhamdulillah. It has been full of endings, new beginnings, happiness, and wonderful memories. 

This post will be a sort of year in review, high lighting all the best times of the past year. So here it goes (not in any specific order): 


1. I graduated from Boston University with my bachelors in Early Childhood Education. I had 4 amazing years at BU, and they all came to a close last May. I miss my amazing professors, wonderful friends, and Comm Ave! 


2. I became a certified teacher!! I got my MA state license after graduating and passing 3 tests! I am now a professional =) 

3. I saw 9 more U.S. states!! Over the summer my mom, sister, cousin, and two aunts went on a road trip around the south and the midwest. We hit up sites in Tennessee, Kentucky, Missouri, Nebraska, Iowa, Arkansas, Kansas, Alabama, and Mississippi! We saw some things I had heard of prior to the trip and some things I had never heard of in my life! All in all, it was great! 
Rocking out at the Grand Ole Opry - Nashville, TN

Gateway Arch!! - St. Louis, Missouri

Little Rock, Arkansas

Catching up with Rachel on Beale St - Memphis, TN


4. Two of my best friends got married!! 

My friend Rachel tied the knot first at a beautiful inn in Connecticut. Rachel and I met freshman year at BU. We both studied early childhood education and had most of the same classes. She and I would meet once a week for dinner during our student teaching, catching up, bouncing ideas off each other, and offering any support we could. I cannot imagine what BU would've been like without Rachel. It was an honor to attend her beautiful wedding. I could not have been happier for her and her husband. 


Then two months later in October, another one of my best friends, L.S.D., got married. She and I also met while attending BU. She is one of the most amazing women I have ever met. She is the epitome of strength, hard work, and beauty. (Check out her blog http://appledaysarmynights.blogspot.com/ She is amazing!) L.S.D. gave me the honor of being a bride's maid in her wedding. It was a wonderful day, a wonderful weekend, and a time I will never forget. 


5. I started teaching 2nd grade! I am currently teaching 22 seven and eight-year-olds. They are amazing, smart, and exhausting! Everyone says the first year is the hardest....we shall see... I will report back next year ;) 

6. My best friend in the whole entire world had a beautiful baby daughter!! My friend Fatimah gave birth to her first daughter on October 25th. She is the most adorable little girl I have ever met mashaAllah, just like her Mama! I am looking forward to some amazing times with her inshaAllah. She is probably the best thing to happen in the last year! I love her so much already and I have known her less than 4 months! I guess since her mom means so much to me, I feel so connected to her.

7. My cousin is moving to New England! My cousin Kristen has lived in Atlanta her whole life. I have seen her probably twice a year since I was born, but we have never lived in the same area for a long period of time. But that is all changing come August! She recently got a job to teach in Connecticut and will be moving up here!! All I gotta say is...bring some warm clothes....

8. I have made two amazing new friends, both of whom are amazing women. I met Rusha a few years ago, but in the last year we have become very close. She is a gorgeous, extremely caring, good-hearted person who I am lucky to have in my life. I am also lucky to have met Heba! Heba and I met at a BBQ last summer and have been friends ever since. She and I have realized we're soul mates. It always amazes me when you meet someone and there is an instant connection subhanAllah. I love you both!!

There have been many other great times in this past year alhamdulillah. I am very thankful for all God has blessed me with. I look forward to a year full of more great times and inshaAllah next year I will have even more wonderful memories to recount. 

2 comments:

  1. Awwww I love you! Happy Birthday! I wish I could be there to celebrate with you today. This past year may have been phenomenal but the best is yet to come! :)

    ReplyDelete