Saturday, January 29, 2011

Half Marathon Here I Come!

I have registered for Boston's Run to Remember, which will take place on May 29th!
Boston's Run to Remember - 05/30/2010, Boston, MA
This will be my first half marathon, and I am very excited for it! I started running regularly about 2 years ago, and I've done it as a way to exercise since then. During these last two years, I have only competed in 2 races, both of which were only 5k's. I decided to push myself into a half marathon this fall when I ran 9 miles one day instead of my usual 3. I figured if I could run 9 miles without training, I could do 13 if I trained. So I looked up training schedules and set my start date for February 1st. So on Tuesday, training begins!
I will be using a training schedule I found online, which basically has me running 5 days a week. I rest the other 2 days. The mileage starts off pretty low and increases each week. I am very excited to begin training, but bummed that my first month or so will be spent running on a treadmill =( It is January in Massachusetts and snow has engulfed our state, making it dangerous in many ways to run outside. The streets in my neighborhood do not have sidewalks, so I usually run on the road...but I cannot do that now because the roads are extremely narrow due to the huge snow piles on each side. I do not want to risk being hit by a car...so I will retreat into the warm, snowless gym and run on a treadmill. I am going to have to make some amazing playlists to keep myself from going insane! I just hate the monotony of the belt moving and the numbers changing! I have to cover up the display when I run or I drive myself crazy!
I will be updating you on my training progress, and hopefully come May I will be posting pictures of me crossing the finish line!!
13.1 miles, you don't scare me!

No comments:

Post a Comment