Sunday, April 10, 2011

Teacup Cake

You read in my last post that we were celebrating my Mumma's (I call my mom that) 50th birthday. In honor of that I made her a cake from scratch. I love to bake and I am pretty well-known for my carrot cake.  My mom requested a carrot cake so that is what I made. But I did not make the cake the classic way, I made it into a teacup shape! Mumma and I love drinking tea, and we visit my Auntie Donna once a week to have tea with her. My Auntie Donna and I threw the party together so I thought the teacup was very fitting.

In this post, I will give the recipe for buttercream frosting, which I used on the cake. I will also feature photos of the cake. In a later post, I will feature the carrot cake recipe with the classic look.

To make the buttercream, I used the Wilton's recipe, which can be found online on their website.


I got to use a Kitchen Aid stand mixer for this! I was in heaven!! If any of you want to buy me one, I will love you forever!! Okay now to the recipe! 
Begin by beating 1 cup of vegetable shortening. If you do not have a stand mixer, a hand mixer will work as well.


Next, add 1 cup of butter (2 sticks). Mix until smooth. 


Next add in 4 tablespoons of milk and 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract. 


Next, add in the powdered sugar. I am doubling the recipe in this post, so you need to add 8 cups of powdered sugar. Add it in 1 cup at a time! 

Watch this video to find out why! 

 The icing should look like this when it is done. It should be smooth with no lumps!







Next I took part of the buttercream and dyed it with royal blue dye. Add a bit at a time and mix.





After it was all mixed, it was this color. Remember: if you add a lot of dye to make a dark color, the people who eat it may have their mouths dyed that color!





The other half of the buttercream I dyed sky blue.
Here is the finished product:

 I bought sugar pearls and put them on one by one with tweezers. It was a process, but alhamdulillah, in the end my mom loved the cake! It was worth it! 

Happy Birthday!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment